I promise I haven’t been eating all these sweets I’ve been blogging about! I made this just as Teen Number Two came home, I was standing in the kitchen eating it (because that’s what you do)…trying very hard to contain my delight (and failing). He insists on having some…after one spoonful he was jumping up to grab his own (and smother it in sauce so Teen Number Three couldn’t have any)…yes…it really is that good!!
- 1 ½ cups medjool dates, deseeded (10-12 large dates)
- 100g ghee
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (or any nut/seed flour)
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ⅔ cup nut milk (any nut of your choice, I used cashew)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Sauce ingredients:
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Nectar (or Maple)
- 1 Tablespoon ghee
- 1 level Tablespoon Mesquite Powder (can be left out if you don’t have any, you will still have a great caramel sauce, the mesquite just gives it a nice caramel 'depth')
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease pudding moulds (or use muffin case).
- Finely dice ½ cup of medjool dates and place them in the food processor along with the melted ghee. Puree until it makes a smooth caramel. (**Using your themomix add ½ cup of the dates and the ghee. Use heat setting 90C and speed 5 for 40 seconds to melt the ghee and mix it with the dates to create a caramel).
- Add the flours, nut milk, eggs, and syrup to the caramel mix and process until smooth (**Thermomix-add these ingredients and whiz for 20 seconds on speed 6).
- Roughly chop the remaining 1 cup of dates and fold through your pudding mixture (**Thermomix-roughly chop the dates and place in the thermie, on speed 1 for 15 seconds).
- Fill the prepared pudding moulds (or muffin cases) with the mixture and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, keep an eye on them after 10 minutes. They are cooked when you press lightly on the top and it springs back (like a normal cake).
- To make the sauce: Place all ingredients in the saucepan and simmer until the ghee melts and the sauce is nicely combined, this takes a minute or two.
Yours in Health and Happiness